Thorpe Satchville, Leicestershire
Thorpe Satchville, a township and parish in Leicestershire, 5 miles S by W of Melton Mowbray, and 2 N from John o' Gaunt station on the Nottingham, Melton, and Market Harborough branch of the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railway. Post town and money order office, Melton Mowbray; telegraph office, John o' Gaunt (R.S.) Acreage, 1330; population of the civil parish, 176; of the ecclesiastical with Hungarton and Twyford, 813. The manor belongs to the Finch family. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Twyford with Hungarton; joint net value, £114 with residence. The church is an edifice of stone in the Late Perpendicular style. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorpe Satchville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thorpe-Satchville)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Thorpe Satchville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: