Saighton, a village and a township in Chester St Oswald parish, Cheshire, 1½ mile SW of Waverton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 miles SSE of Chester. There is a post office under Chester; money order office, Aldford; telegraph office, Eccleston. Acreage, 1777; population, 362. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Duke of Westminster. Saighton Grange is the chief residence. There is a Presbyterian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
|Registration district||Great Boughton||1837 - 1869|
|Registration district||Chester||1870 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Saighton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Saighton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.