Thornton, a small village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire, 1¼ mile SE from Bagworth station on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R., and 5 miles NE by E from Market Bosworth. There is a post office under Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Bagworth (R.S.) Acreage of the township, 2180; population, 500; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Bagworth and Stanton-under-Bardon, 1494. The living is a vicarage, with Bagworth and Stanton chapelries, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £210 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thornton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Thornton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thornton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Thornton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: