Theddingworth, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands on the Rugby and Stamford branch of the L. & N.W.R., on which it has a station, and on the Grand Union Canal, 4½ miles W by S of Market Harborough. The parish includes Hothorpe hamlet in Northamptonshire, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rugby. Acreage, 2581; population, 252. The manor belongs to Earl Spencer. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £112 with residence. The church, which was well restored in 1858 under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A., is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles; it contains some interesting tombs and monuments. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Theddingworth All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Market-Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Theddingworth:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Theddingworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Theddingworth (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Theddingworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: