Swinford, a parish, with a pleasant village, in Leicestershire, 1½ mile NE of Lilbourne station on the Rugby and Market Harborough section of the L. & N.W.R., and 5 miles ENE of Rugby. It has a post office under Rugby; money order office, Lutterworth; telegraph office, Catthorpe. Acreage, 1633; population of the civil parish, 392; of the ecclesiastical, with Stanford-on-Avon, 443. The manor belongs to Lord Braye. A Roman settlement and a Knights Templars preceptory were here. The living is a vicarage, united with Stanford, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross value, £280 with residence, in the gift of Lord Braye. The church, which was restored in 1894, is a building of stone chiefly in the Perpendicular style, but with remains of Transition Norman work. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swinford All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Swinford:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swinford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Swinford (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Swinford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: