Stoney Stanton, Leicestershire
Stoney Stanton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, 1½ mile SE from Elmesthorpe station on the Leicester and Nuneaton branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 4 miles ENE from Hinckley. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hinckley. Acreage, 1572; population, 1220. The manor belongs to the Frewen family. There are large quarries in the parish giving employment to many of the inhabitants. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £390 with residence. The church, which was repaired and enlarged in 1888, is a building of stone partly Norman but chiefly in the Early Decorated style. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanton-Stoney St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Hinckley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Stoney Stanton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoney Stanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanton-Stoney (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Stoney Stanton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: