Stonesby, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, 4½ miles N of Saxby station on the Syston and Peterborough branch of the M.R., and 6 NE of Melton Mowbray. Post town, Melton Mowbray; money order and telegraph office, Waltham. Acreage, 1423; population, 231. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £80. The church, which was restored in 1875, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and there are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stonesby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Stonesby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stonesby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stonesby (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Stonesby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: