Stathern, a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, 1 mile E from Harby and Stathern station on the Melton, Nottingham, and Newark Jointline of the G.N.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 8½ miles N by E from Melton Mowbray. The Nottingham and Grantham Canal passes on the north side of the parish. It has a post and money order office under Melton Mowbray; telegraph office, Harby. Acreage, 2141; population, 608. Net and lace making are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £740 with residence. Patron, St Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated, Early English, and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stathern St. Guthlake|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Stathern:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stathern from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stathern (St. Guthlake))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Stathern are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: