Stapleton, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Barwell parish, Leicestershire, 3 miles NNE of Hinckley, and 2½ NW of Elmsthorpe station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R. There is a post office under Hinckley; money order and telegraph office, Barwell. Acreage, 1365; population, 221. The manor belongs to the Gulson family. The living is annexed to Barwell. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Stapleton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stapleton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Stapleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: