Stanton under Bardon, Leicestershire
Stanton-under-Bardon, a small village and township in Thornton parish, Leicestershire, 1¼ mile NW of Thornton village, and 2 miles N by E from Bagsworth station on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R. Post town, Leicester. money order and telegraph office, Markfield. Acreage, 1447; population, 352. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Countess of Stamford and Warrington. The living is annexed to Thornton. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Stanton under Bardon:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton under Bardon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanton-Under-Bardon)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Stanton under Bardon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: