Sproxton, a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, 3½ miles N of Edmondthorpe Wymondham station on the Saxby-Bourne branch of the M.R., and 8½ NE by E of Melton Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton Mowbray; money order and telegraph office, Buckminster. Acreage, 2338; population of the civil parish, 336; of the ecclesiastical, with Saltby, 589. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dysart. The Duke of Rutland is chief landowner. The living is a vicarage, united with Saltby, in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style. It was restored in 1884 at a cost of about £2500. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sproxton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Sproxton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sproxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sproxton (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Sproxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: