South Kilworth, Leicestershire
Kilworth, South, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands within a mile of the river Avon, at the boundary with Northampton, 1 mile SW of Welford and Kilworth station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4¼ miles ESE of Lutterworth. It has a post office under Rugby; money order office. North Kilworth; telegraph office, Welford. Acreage, 1481; population, 365. The manor belongs to Lord Braye. An observatory was erected in 1834 by Dr Pearson, who was then rector, but it has ceased to be used. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £380. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of stone in the Norman, Transitional, and Perpendicular styles, has a tower and spire of the 15th century, and contains a Norman old font. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Kilworth St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register, which is in good condition and well kept, except in the time of the Civil War, dates from the year 1559.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for South Kilworth:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is a building of stone in the Norman, Transitional and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a tower at the south-west angle, with broach spire and containing 4 bells, all dated 1659, and a clock, erected in 1921 at a cost of over £300, as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there is an arcade of Norman arches and a font of the same period: the spire and tower are Early Perpendicular: the organ was given by the Rev. W. Pearson LL.D. rector from 1817: the stained west window was erected by Countess Beauchamp as a memorial to her mother, the Baroness Braye, of Stanford Hall, d. 21 Feb. 1862; and there are others to the Ven. Assheton Pownall M.A., F.S.A. archdeacon of Leicester and rector here 1847-86, and Walter Whately Pownall, his son: in the chancel is a recessed arch containing the recumbent effigy of an ecclesiastic: there is also a slab bearing a fine florialed cross: in 1869 the church was restored and the north aisle rebuilt, the cost of the latter being defrayed by Col. William Pearson, of North Kilworth: there are 300 sittings: in 1898 an addition was made to the burial ground.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Kilworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kilworth, South (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of South Kilworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: