UK Genealogy Archives logo

Slawston, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Slawston, a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, 2½ miles NW of Medbourne station, and 2 NE of Hallaton station on the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railway, and 5½ NE of Market Harborough. It has a post office under Market Harborough; money order office, Hallaton; telegraph office, Medbourne railway station. Acreage, 1501; population, 152. The manor belongs to the Fewkes family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £150 with residence. The church is of the 13th century, and is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishSlawston All Saints 
HundredGartree 
Poor Law unionUppingham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Slawston:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1560-18121654-17981564-18351560-1812

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Slawston from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Slawston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictHarborough
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE16
Post TownMarket Harborough