Sibson or Sibstone, Leicestershire
Sibson or Sibstone, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Leicestershire, 3 miles W from Shenton station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R., 4 NE from Atherstone, and 4 SW from Market Bosworth. Post town and money order office, Atherstone; telegraph office, Twycross. Acreage, 2602; population of the civil parish, 272; of the ecclesiastical, 377. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; tithe rent charge, £572 with 298 acres of glebe and residence. Patrons, Pembroke College, Oxford. The church consists of ancient chancel, brick nave, and a massive western tower. It has an ancient effigy and a brass of 1530. Wellsborough and Temple Hall are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sibson St. Botolph|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Sibson:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sibson or Sibstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sibson, or Sibstone (St. Botolph))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: