Shearsby, a township and a chapelry in Knaptoft parish, Leicestershire, 5 miles SSW of Wigston railway station, and 6½ NE of Lutterworth. Post town, Rugby; money order office, Husbands Bosworth; telegraph office, Ribworth Harcourt. Acreage, 1128; population of the township, 225; of the ecclesiastical district, with Knaptoft and Mowsley, 659. There is a spring of water which is used for rheumatism and skin diseases, and an inn has been built near it. The church is a building of stone consisting of nave and a western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms dates from 1711; marriages, 1713; burials, 1710.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Shearsby:
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalen (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalen is an Early English building of stone, consisting of nave and a western tower, erected in 1789 and containing 4 bells, three of which are dated 1625, 1796, 1620, the fourth having no date: in the church is an ancient rood-screen of carved oak, sedilia for two priests and a piscina: there are 300 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shearsby from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Shearsby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: