Shawell, a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, on the Rugby and Market Harborough branch of the L. & N.W.R., 1½ mile NNW of Lilbourne station, and 3 S of Lutterworth. Post town, Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Lutterworth. Acreage, 1424; population, 172. The manor belongs to the Marriott family. Roman bricks and tiles have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £400 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1866, and is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, and a low western tower with pinnacles and five bells. There are an endowed school, almshouses for two poor persons, a town estate of about 11 acres, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shawell All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Shawell:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shawell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shawell (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Shawell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: