Shackerstone, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire. The township lies 4 miles NW of Market Bosworth, and has a station on the Ashby and Nuneaton branch of the M.R. and L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Atherstone; money order office, Twycross; telegraph office, Nailstone. Acreage, 1186; population, 252. The parish contains also Odstone hamlet. Population, 437. The manor belongs to Earl Howe, who is chief landowner. It is in the coal district, and has a wharf on the Ashby Canal. The living is a vicarage, with Odstone annexed, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross value, £144. Patron, Earl Howe. The church is an Early English building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shackerstone St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Shackerstone:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shackerstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shackerstone (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Shackerstone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: