Scraptoft, a parish in Leicestershire, 3½ miles E by N of Leicester, and 1 mile N of Thurnby and Scraptoft station on the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railway. Post town and telegraph office, Leicester; money order office, New Humberstone. Acreage, 1711; population, 90. The manor belongs to the Hartopp family. Scraptoft Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £215 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a low embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scraptoft All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Scraptoft:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scraptoft from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scraptoft (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Scraptoft are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: