Rolleston, a township and a chapelry in Billesdon parish, Leicestershire, 1½ mile SSE from Billesdon, and 5½ miles NE from Kibworth station on the M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Billesdon, under Leicester. Acreage of township, 1094; population, 57. The manor belonged to the Heap family. It was sold, together with the advowson of the living of Billesdon-cum-Goadby-cum-Rolleston, to Lord Churchill in 1893. Eolleston Hall is a fine mansion of stone standing in the midst of some beautiful grounds. The living is a chapelry, annexed with Goadby to the vicarage of Billesdon. The church, which stands within the grounds of Rolleston Hall, is a building of stone in the Early English style. In the churchyard there is a well-preserved ancient cross.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rolleston from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Rolleston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: