Ravenstone with Snibstone, Leicestershire
Ravenstone-with-Snibstone, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands 1 mile S from Swannington station on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R., and 3½ miles SE of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and has a post office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch; money order and telegraph office, Coalville. The parish comprises 2413 acres; population of the civil parish, 1277; of the ecclesiastical parish of Ravenstone, 470. The manor, with Ravenstone Hall, belongs to the Fosbrooke family. Ravenstone House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £310 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a large hospital or almshouse, originally founded and endowed about 1711 and enlarged in 1784 and 1860, for poor women, of whom it now accommodates about twenty-five. Snibstone is a hamlet about a mile eastward of Ravenstone, to which it was attached for civil purposes in 1884. It has an area of about 750 acres, and is 1½ mile S from Coalville station on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R. Post town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch; money order and telegraph office, Coalville. There are extensive collieries belonging to the Snibstone Colliery Co. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Packington, in the diocese of Peterborough. The chapel of ease is a very small but ancient building of stone consisting of nave only. It has a stained E window and an ancient font.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Ravenstone:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: