Quorndon or Quorn, a village, a township, and a civil parish, which was formed out of Barrow-on-Soar in 1868, in Leicestershire, The village stands on the river Soar, 1 mile WSW of Barrow-on-Soar station on the main line of the M.B., and 2½ miles SE of Loughborough. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of the name of Quorn, under Loughborongh. Acreage of parish, 2220; population, 1888. There is an urban district council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough. Quorn Hall, Quorn House, and Quorn Lodge are chief residences. There are gasworks for Quorndon, Mountsorrel, and Barrow-on-Soar. There are also the kennels and stables of the celebrated Quorn hunt, and the manufacture of elastic web is carried on to a considerable extent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £106 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient building of stone chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S chapel, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It contains some good stained windows and some interesting tombs and monuments. There are Baptist, Free Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and charities worth rather over £200 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Barrow upon Soar|
|Poor Law union||Barrow-upon-Soar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Quorndon:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quorndon from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: