Potters Marston, Leicestershire
Potters Marston, a township in Blaby union, Leicestershire, 4½ miles NW from Hinckley, and 1½ mile W from Elmsthorpe station on the Leicester and Nuneaton branch of the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Hinckley; money order and telegraph office, Stoney Stanton. Acreage, 703; population, 19. The manor belongs to the Heathcote family, who are sole landowners. The Hall, an ancient mansion, formerly the seat of the Boothby family, is now a farmhouse. The living is a chapelry, united with Stapleton to the rectory of Barwell, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church, which consists of nave only, is a small building of stone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Blaby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Potters Marston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marston, Potter's)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Potters Marston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: