Plungar, a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, on the Grantham and Nottingham Canal, adjacent to Notts, 1½ mile S from Redmile station, 2 miles N from Stathern station on the Market Harborough and Newark branch of the Great Northern and London and North-Western Joint railway, and 10 N by E from Melton Mowbray. Post town, Nottingham, via Bottesford; money order and telegraph office, Harby. Acreage, 979; population, 224. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £103 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Plungar St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Plungar:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Plungar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Plungar (St. Helen))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Plungar are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: