Noseley or Gnossall, Leicestershire
Noseley or Gnossall (at one time known as Gnousessal), formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish in Leicestershire, on an affluent of the river Welland, 3 miles SE of Billesdon, and 4 NW from Hallaton station on the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railway. Post town, Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Billesdon. Acreage, 1304; population, 26. The property belonged anciently to the Blackets, passed to the Mortevalles and others, and has belonged for several centuries to the Hazleriggs. Noseley Hall, their seat, is a fine old mansion, and contains a valuable collection of portraits and paintings. An ancient church stands near the hall; was made collegiate in 1274 by Anketine de Morte-valle; comprises nave and chancel, nearly covered with ivy; and contains an old carved font, piscinae, sedilia, and effigies of the Hazleriggs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Noseley or Gnossall from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: