North Kilworth, Leicestershire
Kilworth, North, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands near the Grand Union Canal, the river Avon, and the boundary with Northampton, 5 miles E by S of Lutterworth, and has a station called Welford and Kilworth on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Rugby; telegraph office, Husbands Bos-worth. The parish comprises 2099 acres; population, 428. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £450, in the gift of the Belgrave family. The church, dedicated to St Andrew, is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, was restored and partly rebuilt in 1865, has a low tower with a spire, and contains a carved oak lectern, and a modern stone and marble font. There are a Baptist chapel and a few small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Kilworth St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1554.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for North Kilworth:
Church of England
St. Clement (parish church)
The church of St. Clement is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, two aisles, north porch and an embatlled western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells, two dated 1641, one 1764, one 1853 and one undated: an arcade with clustered piers and foliated capitals divides the nave from the south aisle, built at the time of the restoration of the chnrch in 1864: the arcade on the north side is Early English and the piers have no capitals: the east and west windows and two others are stained: two chancel chairs were given by the parish to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee in 1897 of Queen Victoria: the church was restored and resealed in 1864, and has 230 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Kilworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kilworth, North (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of North Kilworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: