Newton Harcourt, Leicestershire
Newton Harcourt, a village and a township-chapelry in Wistow parish, Leicestershire. The village stands on the Union Canal, near the river Soar, and near the M.R., 1 mile WNW of Glen station, and 6½ miles SE by S of Leicester. It has a post office under Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Great Glen. The township comprises 1143 acres; population, 167; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Kilby and Wistow, 445. The manor belongs to the Halford family. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Kilby with Wistow, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net value, £164 with residence. The church is a small building of stone in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton Harcourt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newton-Harcourt)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Newton Harcourt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: