Nether Broughton, Leicestershire
Broughton, Nether, a parish in Leicestershire, on the verge of the county, near the Fosse Way and the Grantham. Canal, 6 miles NW by N of Melton-Mowbray, and 1½ mile NE of Old Dalby station on the M.R. It has a post office under Melton-Mowbray; money order office, Hickling; telegraph office, Old Dalby. Acreage, 2301; population, 400. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; value, about £368 with residence. The church has an embattled pinnacled tower, and is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a small charity for the poor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nether Broughton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Nether Broughton:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 14th century, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles and an embattled tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, two of which are dated respectively 1613 and 1766; the bells were rehung and one recast in 1882: the interior was restored in 1848, and in 1881 the windows throughout the church were renovated, principally at the expense of P. P. Bouverie esq. and the Rev. Philip Deedes, rector 1875-81: in 1882 the tower was partially restored: in 1892 a new organ was provided, the church refloored and the interior thoroughly repaired: the foundations and fabric of the chancel were repaired, and a new buttress to the north aisle built in 1896: in 1903 the north aisle was rebuilt and the south aisle underpinned: in 1927 the roof and flooring were repaired: there are 240 sittings: the churchyard, enlarged in 1887 and 1925 by the addition of portions of the glebe, given by the rectors, has been inclosed, the expense being defrayed by the parishioners.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nether Broughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Broughton, Nether (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Nether Broughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: