Mowsley, a township and a chapelry in Knaptoft parish,. Leicestershire, near the Grand Union Canal, 2 miles NNW of Theddingworth station on the Rugby and Market Har-borough section of the L. & N.W.R., and 6 WNW of Market Harborough. There is a post office under Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Theddingworth. Acreage of the township, 1305; population, 168. The manor belongs to the-Duchy of Lancaster. The living is annexed to the rectory of Knaptoft, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is an ancient cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of nave, transepts, and an open western turret containing one bell. It was repaired in 1882. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Mowsley:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mowsley from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Mowsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: