Romiley or Chadkirk, Cheshire
Romiley or Chadkirk, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Stockport parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the Peak Forest Canal, 4 miles E by N of Stockport, and has a station on the M.S. & L.R. and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockport. The township comprises 1189 acres; population, 1920. For parish council purposes Romiley is united with Bredbury, and to the conjoint urban district council of eighteen members it sends six. Oakwood Hall is the chief residence. There are two cotton-mills, extensive printworks, hat manufactories, and bleachworks. The ecclesiastical parish bears the name of Chadkirk, and was constituted in 1876. Population, 1891. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; net value, £233 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Stockport. The church was built in 1866. The ancient church, called Chadkirk Chapel, was repaired and reopened for service in 1876. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stockport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Romiley or Chadkirk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Romiley, or Chad-Kirk)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.