Markfield, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands 3 miles SE of Bardon Hill station on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R., and 7½ NW of Leicester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. The parish comprises 2303 acres; population of the civil parish, 1439; of the ecclesiastical, 1373. The manor belongs to the Countess of Stamford and War-rington. Granite is quarried on an extensive scale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £295 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, with tower and spire and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1865. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a cemetery, opened in 1887, with a chapel, and some small charities. A church mission room was built in 1892 for the hamlet of Shaw Lane.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Markfield St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Markfield cemetery, a quarter of a mile from the village, and opened in 1887, covers an area of one and a half acres, with one mortuary chapel.
The parish registers date from the year 1573, but are imperfect.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Markfield:
The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with spire, containing 5 bells: in 1865 the church was restored and enlarged, and a chancel added: the stained east window was inserted in 1920 in memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; and the west window in 1927 in memory of Alderman W. Tidd, patron of the living: there are 327 sittings.
There is a Congregational chapel here, built in 1852 to seat 170.
There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Markfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Markfield (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Markfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:
In 1885, by Local Government Board Order, a detached part of Markfield was transferred to Charley, and a detached part of Newton Linford, in Loughborough union, added to Markfield.