UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lowesby, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Lowesby, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire. The township lies 3¾ miles N by E of Billesdon, and 10 E by N from Leicester, and has a station on the Peterborough and Leicester branch of the G.N.R. Post town, Leicester via Billesdon; money order office, Billesdon; telegraph office at Loseby railway station. Area of township, 1424 acres; population, 136; of the ecclesiastical parish, 229. The manor, with Lowesby Hall, a fine mansion standing in a well-timbered park of 100 acres, belongs to the Fowke family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £68 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consists of chancel, nave, aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and contains some ancient monuments.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishLowesby All Saints 
HundredEast Goscote 
Poor Law unionBillesdon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1653.

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Lowesby:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1659-19161755-19131658-18371654-1988

Churches

The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1657, 1625 and 1613: traces of the original church still exist, with part of the rood loft and remains of a screen: there are also sedilia, an imperfect piscina and an ancient stone font: the roof is of oak, handsomely carved: in the south aisle is a monument to the Wollaton family, dated 1690, and another at the west end to the Ashbys, with remains of brasses to the Burdett family: the communion plate was presented by Sir Edward Cecil kt. Viscount Wimbledon, son of Thomas. 1st Earl of Exeter K.G. and is dated 1614: the church was thoroughly restored in 1868, and affords 250 sittings.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lowesby from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Lowesby are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictHarborough
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE7
Post TownLeicester