Long Whatton, Leicestershire
Long Whatton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, 4¼ miles NW by W from Loughborough station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R., with a post office under Loughborough;. money order and telegraph office, Hathern. Acreage, 2051; population, 638. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross. value, £380 with residence. The church, which was almost wholly rebuilt in 1866, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style. There are also Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. Whatton House, the seat of Lord Crawshaw, is a mansion standing in a park of 120 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Whatton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1545 and are perfect.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Long Whatton:
The church of All Saints, a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower at the east end of the south aisle, containing a clock and 3 bells, one being mediaeval; they were rehung in 1900: an arcade of three arches divides the nave from the south aisle, the north arcade having four arches; the piers in both are octagonal but much higher on the north side: at the east end of the south aisle is a tomb, surmounted by a handsome alsbaster urn, to various members of the Dawson family, and on the wall near are numerous tablets to other members of that family and to the Townleys: in the chancel is a memorial to the Rev. John Marshall, curate here for 30 years, d. 1848: the stained east window is a memorial to John Martin esq. of Whatton House, d. 1864: there is a stained window in the north aisle to Lady Crawshaw, d. 1914: there are two piscinae, one in the south and one in the north aisle, which has also a blocked doorway, and in the chancel an ancient carved oak chair, initialled and dated "I W 1655" the Norman font is carved with the star and cable ornament: in 1894 an oak screen was presented by the 1st Lord Crawshaw in memory of his daughter, Mrs. Knowles, of Colston Bassett, Notts: the pulpit and reading desks are both of exquisitely carved oak: the bible belonging to the church was once stolen by a man of the parish, named Garner, who when pursued threw it into a neighbouring brook, for which he was tried at Leicester, and condemned to death; the bible was subsequently recovered, and is now in the chest: the church was partially restored in 1850 by Edward Dawson esq. and in 1866 was nearly rebuilt, at a cost of £1,500: in 1900 the church was again repaired: at the same time two oak screens were presented by the 1st Lord Crawshaw: in 1913 a new organ was provided: there are 350 sittings.
There is a Baptist chapel here, founded in 1799, with 230 sittings, and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Whatton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whatton, Long (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Long Whatton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: