Lockington, a township and a parish in Leicestershire. The township lies at the N verge of the county, at the confluence of the Soar and the Trent, near the M.R., 1¼ mile SE from Castle Donnington station, 2¼ miles NW of Kegworth station, and 7¼ NNW of Loughborough, and has a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Castle Don-ington. The parish contains also the township of HEMING-TON, which is noticed separately, and comprises 3309 acres; population, 577; of the ecclesiastical parish, 575. The manor, with Lockington Hall, belongs to the Cursons. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Hemington annexed, in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value, £380 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles. It contains a Norman font and some very ancient tombs and monuments. There are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lockington St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers date from the year 1557, and are in fair condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Lockington:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, the sixth having been added and the five former rehung and restored at the expense of Nathaniel C. Curzon esq. of Lockington Hall: four of the five earlier bells date from 1692 to 1832; the tenor, an ancient undated bell, has the inscription:- "Vox Divi Ihu Xpi Vox Exoltacionis;" the curfew is still rung during the winter months at 8 p.m.: there is a chapel at the east end of the south aisle: the clerestory windows and roof, the latter of oak, panelled and bossed, the carved oak chancel screen and the screen of the chapel in the south aisle are in the Perpendicular style: the nave arcades have Early English piers with octagonal capitals: the font is Norman and at the east end of the north aisle is a modern one of alabaster: on the south side of the chancel is a low-side shuttered and two 13th century windows, which were discovered during repairs: the chancel and the nave were repaired in 1916-19: there are in several of the windows fragments of ancient stained glass, principally heraldic: the stained east window was inserted by the Story family: the south aisle or Hemington chapel contains a piscina and a fine alabaster altar tomb of the Decorated period, with the recumbent effigy of a lady in flowing robes, much mutilated, and a marginal inscription, now almost obliterated: "Hic jacet corpus Dominae Elizabethe Ferrers nuper uxoris Domini Johannis Ferrers de Chartley que Elizabethe obiit 15-" (the rest is lost); the tomb is arcaded and has on each side six figures of cowled monks, holding rosaries, books &c. and at the end are angels supporting shields with the quartered arms of Ferrers, Devereux and Langham: in the chancel is an alabaster monument with effigies in full relief, to William Bainbrigge, lord of the manor of Lockington, Elizabeth his wife and 13 children, dated 1614: there are many other memorials to the Bainbrigge and Story families, including a marble tablet to John Bainbrigge Story, of Lockington Hall, d. 1872, and others to the Fulwoods, of Hemington, 1722-60: on the west side of the south aisle is a grey marble tablet, erected in memory of the men of Lockington and Hemington, who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church plate includes a silver flagon and chalice; the former, originally a secular piece of plate belonging to the Bainbrigge family, bears their arms and crest and the date 1612, and was given to the church at Easter, 1638, by John Bainbrigge esq. who died to March, 1642, and is buried in the chancel; the chalice is dated 1607 and bears the initials of the churchwardens: a silver paten, given in 1718, by Mary, widow of John Bainbrigge, is now lost, but another, of very fine design, was presented by N. C. Curson esq.: the church affords 500 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lockington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lockington (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Lockington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: