UK Genealogy Archives logo

Knossington, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Knossington, a township and a parish, with a village, in Leicestershire, on the river Gwash, adjacent to Rutland, 4 miles W by S of Oakham station on the M.R. There is a post and money order office under Oakham; telegraph office, Somerby. Acreage, 1469; population, 323. The manor belongs to the Frewens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £185 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch,. and a western tower. It was restored in 1883, and contains two very beautiful windows, one in the N aisle, the other in the S aisle, of Flamboyant character; also a clerestory,-with windows of Geometrical Decorated tracery, and a very handsome Early English font. There was formerly a rich chancel-screen, portions of which have been incorporated elsewhere in the building. For union purposes Knossington is included in the Oakham union, but for all others in the Melton Mowbray district. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an hospital for four clergymen's widows; with £150 a year from endowment. The parish council consists of five members.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishKnossington St. Peter 
HundredGartree 
Poor Law unionOakham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1558.

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Knossington:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1558-19161755-17911558-18421558-1991

Churches

Church of England

St. Peter (parish church)

The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave with aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 2 bells: the church was restored in 1883 by A. Duncan esq. and has 150 sittings.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Knossington from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Knossington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictMelton
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE15
Post TownOakham