UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kirby Muxloe, Leicestershire

Historical Description

Kirby Muxloe, a township and a chapelry, with a village, in Glenfield parish, Leicestershire, on a branch of the river Soar, and on the Leicester and Burton branch of the M.R., 4¼miles W of Leicester. It has a station on the railway, and a post and telegraph office under Leicester; money order office, Desford. Acreage, 1865; population, 554. The manor belongs to the Pochin family. Remains exist of a moated castle of the family of the Hastings, partly clad with ivy. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Glenfield, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLeicestershire 
Civil parishGlenfield 
HundredSparkenhoe 
Poor Law unionBlaby 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1597. The remnant of the first register book consists of 9 detached leaves. They are in very poor condition and a great deal of the detail has rotted away.

Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Kirby Muxloe:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1597-1880 1619-19311598-1925

Churches

Church of England

St. Bartholomew (parish church)

The church of St. Bartholomew is a small but ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low western tower containing 5 bells, one of which, dating back to 1606, is a tenor bell and inscribed, "Be yt knowne to all that doth me see, that Newcombe of Leicester made mee, 1606;" this was recast in 1907: there is a stained window at the east end, given by T. Hollis esq. in memory of his son and other men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: in 1901 the church was redecorated and a new organ provided, and in 1927 a new vestry was built: there are 200 sittings.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Kirby Muxloe from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Kirby Muxloe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online:

DistrictBlaby
CountyLeicestershire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLE9
Post TownLeicester