Kings Norton, Leicestershire
King's Norton or Norton-by-Galby, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands 4 miles NE from Glen station on the M.R., and 5 SW from Ingersby station on the G.N.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Billesdon. The parish contains also the township of Stretton Parva. Acreage, 1714; population, 131. The manor belongs to the Countess of Stamford and Warrington. The church, which is a building of stone in the Gothic style, was built in 1783, suffered damage from lightning in 1843, and was repaired about 1848. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Stretton Parva, in the diocese of Peterborough; gross value,, £108 with residence. There are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||King's Norton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for King's Norton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kings Norton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Norton, King's (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: