Isley Walton, Leicestershire
Isley Walton, a township and a chapelry attached to Kegworth parish, Leicestershire, near the boundary with Derbyshire, 2½ miles SW from Castle Donington, and 5½ W by S from Kegworth station on the M.R. Post, money order, and telegraph office, Castle Donington. Acreage, 475; population, 42. The living is annexed to the rectory of Keg-worth, in the diocese of Peterborough. All Saints' chapel is a small plain building consisting of nave, south porch, and a western tower. Lord Donington is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Isley Walton:
Church of England
All Saints Chapel
All Saints' chapel, a small plain building, originally existing as early as 1220, was rebuilt in 1719. again in 1819 and again in 1899, and consists of nave, north porch and a western tower containing 2 bells undated: the communion plate, which is now lost, included a silver cup, dated 1575, and other vessels &c. of pewter.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Isley Walton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Isley-Walton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Isley Walton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: