Ibstock, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands near the source of the river Anker, 2 miles SW from Bardon Hill station on the M.R., and 4½ N from Market Bosworth, is well built, contains some good shops, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The township includes the village, and comprises 2335 acres; population, 2937. The manor belongs to Earl Howe. There is a large colliery here; freestone abounds, and tiles and bricks are manufactured. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, , £700 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is an ancient Gothic building of stone, dating from about 1170, and there are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, .Reformed Wesleyan, and Wesleyan chapels. Archbishop Land was rector 1617-21.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ibstock St. Denis|
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A cemetery of 1 1/2 acres was formed in 1883 at a cost of £1,000, with one mortuary chapel.
The parish register dates from the year 1568 and is in fair condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Ibstock:
Church of England
St. Denys (parish church)
The church of St. Denys is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower with spire, containing 6 bells, two of which are dated 1632 and one 1711; the tenor, which appears much older, is undated: in the chancel is a mural monument to the Rev. Spencer Madan, prebendary and chancellor of the diocese of Peterborough and rector of this parish, d. 1836, and others to Charles Goddard D.D. rector 1837-48, and archdeacon of Lincoln 1814-44; to his son, dated 1844, and to the Rev. John Lawton M.A. rector for 27 years, d. 1726, and brasses to Francis Mansfield, d. 1667; his wife, d. 1647; to Thomas Brewster, d. 1689, and to Thomas Tertius Paget esq. J.P., D.L. of Humberstone, d. 1892: in 1884-5 the nave was restored, the western gallery pulled down, the church reseated, and a carved oak pulpit provided, at a total cost of £2,250: the chancel was restored in 1897 at a cost of £1,000, as a memorial of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, when oak choir stalls, in memory of Henry and Sarah Hind, were presented by their daughters, the Misses Hind, and a new organ erected; four windows and two lowside windows, which had been bricked up, and two aumbries and a piscina were all restored: there are other piscinae in the aisles and sedilia in the south aisle; the stained east window was given in 1899 by Mrs. Paget, as a memorial to Thomas Guy Paget esq. (d. 1894): a window to R. H. Thomas esq. was placed in the chancel by his daughters in 1912: there are also two stained glass windows to Rev. S. and Mrs. Flood, one given by their family and one by the parishioners, and another to the memory of Thomas Nash Wilson, given by his parents: the stained glass window in the north aisle is to the memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: a new vestry was built on the site of the old south porch, the archway of which retains a stoup: there are 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ibstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ibstock (St. Denis))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Ibstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: