Hoby, a village, a township, and a parish in the Eastern division of Leicestershire. The village stands on the river Wreak, adjacent to Brooksby station on the M.R., 6 miles W by S from Melton Mowbray, and has a post office under Leicester; money order and telegraph office, Rearsby. The .parish comprises 1691 acres; population, 290. The manor belongs to the Paget family. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Rotherby, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross value, £600 with residence. The church, which is a building of stone in the Early English style, comprises nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hoby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.
We have transcribed Phillimore Marriages volume 2, which includes Hoby 1562-1812
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Hoby:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 5 bells, two of which are dated 1604 and 1613 respectively: the chancel retains a piscina : in the south aisle (the Villiers chantry) is another piscina and a sedilia and a brass with effigy and nearly effaced inscription: the church was restored in 1862-3, under the direction of Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, and in 1888 the chancel was restored and reseated in oak, and a brass lectern was placed in the church in memory of Mrs. Beresford: during the period 1900-4 the nave was completely restored and reseated in oak: the floor was concreted and overlaid in oak (1913) and a new rood screen erected: there are two stained glass war memorial windows in the chancel and one in the nave, also a tablet, unveiled by Admiral Earl Beatty (June, 1920) commemorating the 11 men of the village who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 200 sittings. In the churchyard is an ancient stone cross.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hoby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hoby (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Hoby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: