Hallaton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands on a slope 6 miles WSW from Uppingham, was once a market-town, and has a station on the G.N. and L. & N.W. Joint railways, and a post and money order office under Uppingham; telegraph office. East Norton. Two cattle fairs are held, the first on Holy Thursday and the second three weeks later. The parish comprises 2969 acres; population of the civil parish, 755; of the ecclesiastical, 785. The manor belongs to the Dent family. Remains of an ancient encampment, called Hallaton Castle Hill, of considerable extent, and comprising a conical eminence 118 feet high, once surmounted by a keep and engirt with ramparts and ditches, are about a mile W of the village, and vestiges of another are near it. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Blaston St Michael, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint gross value, £720 with residence. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire, and contains an old font, sedilia, and monuments to the Vowes, the Bewickes, the Fenwickes, and the Dents. There is a Congregational chapel, and several valuable charities worth in the aggregate about £500 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hallaton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Uppingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1563.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Hallaton:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is a large building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porches and a western tower with lofty octagonal spire, containing 6 bells, which were recast and rehung in 1921 by Taylor, of Longhborough, at a cost of £800: the north arcade of the nave is Early Norman; the chancel is Early English and the tower Decorated: the chancel retains three handsome sedilia and an Early English piscina with dog-tooth ornament, and a memorial window to the Rev. Charles Fenwicke M.A. a former vicar of Slawston, d. Sept. 28, 1825: in the aisles are three Decorated sedilia and a piscina, and the north aisle has six stained windows: the font is Early English: the church was thoroughly restored in 1890, at a cost of £2,700, and in 1901 a dwarf screen of carved stone was erected in the chancel: in 1921 a vestry was erected on the south side as a memorial to those of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; their names are inscribed on two marble tablets.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hallaton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hallaton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Hallaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: