Gumley, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, near the Union Canal, 4 miles N from Theddingworth station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4½ NW by N from Market Harborough. There is a post office under Market Harborough; money order office, Foxton; telegraph office, Lubenham. Acreage, 1385; population, 169. The manor belongs to the Whitmore family. Gumley Hall also belongs to the same family, and it commands extensive views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £350, Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is old but good, consists of nave, chancel, aisle, and porches, and has a square tower, with octagonal spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gumley St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Harborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from 1698, marriages 1704, and burials, 1700.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Gumley:
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The church of St. Helen, surrounded by high trees, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western tower with octagonal spire, containing 3 bells, rehung in 1898: the stained east window, together with a brass underneath it, form a memorial erected to Robert Bingley, rector 1562-1601; James Bingley, rector 1601-1643; Samuel Pendock, rector, 1715-55, d. 20 Jan. 1755, and other members of the Bingley and Pendock families from 1751 to 1876: on either side of this window is a niche containing the figure of an angel: the stained west window, given by the Rev. Andrew Matthews M.A. rector, and Thomas Charles Douglas Whitmore esq. 1 Dec. 1875, commemorates the restoration of the church, and underneath is a brass with inscription: in the south aisle is a marble tablet with an inscription to John Norton, d. 2 Dec. 1701, and Barbara, his wife, d. 13 Jan. 1705: there are mural tablets to Andrew and Elizabeth Horton; dated 1721, and one to the Rev. Richard Wynne M.A. 33 years rector, dated 1788: a handsome carved oak screen divides the chancel from the nave: the stalls are of oak: in the south aisle is a piscina: a new pulpit was presented in 1898: the church was thoroughly repaired in 1875-6, at a cost of £2,000, and has 140 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gumley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gumley (St. Helen))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: