Groby or Grooby, a village and a chapelry in Ratby parish, Leicestershire. The village stands 1½ mile from Glen-field station on the M.R., and 4½ miles WNW from Leicester; was once a market-town, and Jias a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. Population of ecclesiastical district, with Ratby, 2201. The chapelry has a peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdiction. The manor belonged, in the Confessor's time, to Ulfi; afterwards to Hugo de Grantesmaisnel, "who built a castle on it; passed to the Greys of Groby and Bradgate; was the birthplace of Lady Jane Grey, and belongs now to the Countess of Stamford and Wamngton, who is chief landowner. The castle was demolished about the year 1176, and is now represented by only a mound. Bradgate House, formerly the hunting seat of the Earl of Stamford, is a large edifice in the Tudor style, was built in 1856, and stands amid extensive pleasure grounds. Groby Pool is a fine sheet of water occupying 40 acres. There are extensive quarries of slate and granite here, and also the works of the Victoria Stone Company. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Eatby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church was built in 1840, and has a small tower. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1840.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Groby:
Church of England
The chapel of ease to Ratby, erected in 1840 at the sole expense of the Earl of Stamford and Warrington, is a small building of granite, with slate dressings, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a small embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, dated 1840: a new chancel was erected in 1912: a tablet, on which are inscribed the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, was erected to their memory: there are 300 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Groby from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: