Gilmorton, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, 3 miles NE by N of Lutterworth, and 5 E from Ullesthorpe station on the M.R., with a post and money order office under Lutterworth; telegraph office, Lutterworth. Acreage, 2471; population of the civil parish, 534; of the ecclesiastical, 525. The living is a rectory in the diocese of.Peter-borough; net yearly value, £560 with residence. The church, a building of ashlar work in the Decorated style, was rebuilt in 1860 at a cost of upwards of £2000. About £1100 has been since spent in fittings, organ, stained glass windows, lamps, &c. There is a Congregational chapel. Cotes de Val is a hamlet which was transferred from Kimcote parish in 1877.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gillmorton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lutterworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1611, and is in good condition.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Gilmorton:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of ashlar work with stone dressings, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a western tower with broach spire, containing 8 bells, five dated respectively 1766, 1671, 1738, 1861 (recast from one dated 1671) and 1749 and three new ones added in 1909: a clock was added in 1882, the cost being defrayed from a legacy left by H. Warden esq.: the edifice (with the exception of the tower) was rebuilt in 1860: the spire, damaged by storms in 1883-4, was partially rebuilt in 1885, at a cost of £104, and entirely rebuilt in 1909: a new organ and a brass eagle lectern were presented by the then rector, the Rev. E. Jackson, in 1884, and the former was enlarged in March, 1898, at a cost of £160: there are nineteen stained windows: in 1898 a reredos of alabaster and Caen stone was erected and a lych gate built at the north entrance to the churchyard, both at the cost of the Rev. E. Jackson: in 1897 a north porch was erected in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Victoria: there are 450 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gilmorton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gillmorton (All Saints))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Gilmorton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: