Galby or Gaulby, a township and a parish in Leicestershire. The township lies 2 miles SW of Billesdon, and 4 S from Ingersby station on the G.N.R. Acreage, 940; population of the civil parish, 69; of the ecclesiastical, 87. The parish contains also the township of Frisby, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Billesdon, under Leicester. Acreage of Frisby, 903; population, 69. The land is hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, o£280 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, and has a fine western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gaulby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Billesdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1609.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Gaulby:
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with 8 pinnacles and containing 6 bells; the tenor bell weighs 12 cwt.: there is a tablet in the chancel to the Rev. Richard Walker, 38 years rector, d. 3 July, 1826: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gaulby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gaulby (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: