Frisby on the Wreake, Leicestershire
Frisby-on-the-Wreak, a village, a township, and a parish in Leicestershire. The village stands on the river Wreak,. adjacent to the M.R., 4 miles W by S of Melton Mowbray, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leicester; money order office, Rearsby; telegraph office, As-fordby. The parish comprises 1508 acres; population, 381. A curious old cross is in the village, and part of another, called Stump Cross, is at Frisby Haggs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, o£235 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Frisby-on-the-Wreak St. Thomas à Becket|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from March 16th, 1659; marriages from August 30th, 1659, and burials from May 15th, 1659.
We have transcribed Phillimore Marriages volume 2, which includes Frisby-on-the-Wreak 1659-1837
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Frisby on the Wreake:
Church of England
St. Thomas à Becket (parish church)
The church of St. Thomas à Becket is a building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south transept and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and spire, containing 3 bells, two of which are respectively dated 1600 and 1711: a clock was placed in the tower in 1923 by J. R. Frisby esq. and the Misses Frisby: there are two memorial windows, a reredos was erected in 1883 and in 1887 a brass lectern was presented by the parishioners: there is a brass tablet on the south wall of the chancel to a former vicar: an oak chancel screen was presented to the church in 1928 by Mr. and Mrs. A. Foister, in memory of their son Peter, who was accidentally drowned at Barkby in 1925: the church was repaired and repewed about 1848, and has 300 sittings: in 1925 a quarter of an acre was added to the churchyard, being given by the family of the late Mr. H. S. Black.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Frisby on the Wreake from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Frisby-on-the-Wreak (St. Thomas à Becket))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: