Freeby, a small village, a township, and a -chapelry in Melton Mowbray parish, Leicestershire, near the river Wreak and the Melton Mowbray Canal, 1 mile NW of Saxby station on the M.R., and 3½ miles ENE of Melton Mowbray. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Melton Mowbray. Acreage, 1395; population, 131. The living is a chapelry in the parish of Melton Mowbray. The church is Early English, and has a fine tower. There is also a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Melton Mowbray|
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1604, but up to the year 1800 consists chiefly of fragments bound together.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Freeby:
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 3 bells, dated 1614, 1631 and 1658: the church was thoroughly restored in 1894 at a cost of £1,300, and affords 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Freeby from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Freeby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: