Pulford, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Dee, at the boundary with Denbighshire, 1½ mile NE of Rossett station on the G.W.R., and 5 S by W of Chester, and has a post office under Wrexham; money order and telegraph office, Rossett. The township comprises 1184 acres; population, 298. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the township of Poulton, and comprises 2589 acres; population, 468. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £118 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Westminster. The church was built on the site of a very ancient one in 1833 and rebuilt in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pulford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
|Registration district||Great Boughton||1837 - 1869|
|Registration district||Chester||1870 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Pulford from 1837 to 1869 you should search for the Great Boughton Registration District.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Pulford from 1870 to 1937 you should search for the Chester Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pulford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pulford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pulford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.