Enderby, a village and a parish in Leicestershire. The Aillage stands near the Fosse Way, the river Soar, the Union Canal, and the Leicester and Nuneaton branch of the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles NNE from Narborough railway station, and 4g- SW by S from Leicester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leicester. The parish comprises 1672 acres; population, 2399. Enderby Hall belonged to the Nevilles, and is now the seat of the Drummond family. Most of the inhabitants work either in the large granite quarries or in boot factories. A railway was opened in 1893, from Narborough to Enderby, under the joint management of the M.R. and the L. & N.W.R., to convey the granite from the quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net value, £190 with residence. The church, originally built in 1270, was rebuilt in 1868 with the exception of the tower. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, and the Blaby Union Workhouse stands in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Enderby St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Blaby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Enderby:
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, originally erected about 1230, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, and was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1868, by Charles Brook esq.; it consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 8 bells; the five old bells were recast, and three new ones added in 1928; of these new bells, two were the gift of H. J. Grace esq. in memory of his son-in-law, Lieut. A. H. Levy, who fell in the Great War, and the other the gift of Mr. and Mrs. J Taylor; the Westminster quarter chimes were the gift of H. J. Grace esq. in 1928: an oak tablet was dedicated in 1928 to the memory of Mr. George Tunnicliffe, who was parish clerk for 60 years: there are several stained windows, including one erected by the congregation in 1887 in commemoration of the Jubilee of Queen Victoria: there is also a memorial brass to the Right Rev. James Thomas Hayes D.D. Bishop of Trinidad, d. 1904: the organ was the gift of the Misses Brook, and the stone font and oak pulpit of the parishioners: the carved Litany desk was also a parochial gift, in memory of the son of the Rev. Claud A. Vincent, vicar of the parish, 1914-17, who fell in the charge of the Leicester Regiment, Oct. 1915: at the west end is a fine Early Decorated arch, dating from about 1260, and supported by fluted columns: the capitals are carved with foliage and the arch is decorated with grotesque heads: the finely carved reredos represents scenes from the life of Our Lord: there is a tablet bearing the names of parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 500 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Enderby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Enderby (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Enderby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: