Diseworth, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, on an affluent of the river Trent, near the boundary with Notts, 2½ miles S from Castle Donington station on the M.R., and.. 6 NW from Loughborough, with a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Castle Donington. Acreage, 1961; population, 369. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough; net yearly value, £130 with residence. Patron, alternately the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English Transition style. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. Lilly the astrologer, the " Sidrophel" of Butler's l' Hudibras," was born here in 1602.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Diseworth St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1656. and is in good preservation.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Diseworth:
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Disworth:
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael (assumed to have been dedicated to this saint), originally appropriated to Langley Priory, is an ancient building of stone in the Transition style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a western tower, with dwarf spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, dating from 1626 to 1803: in the chancel is an inscribed tablet to Richard Cheslyn esq. late of Langley Priory, d. 1843: in the nave is a tablet inscribed with the genealogy of the Cheslyn family, and a memorial with the figure of a mourning female to Ann, wife of Richard Cheslyn: in the south aisle are other memorials to the Rev. Caleb Lowdhan, a former vicar, d. 1792, to his son, Caleb Lowdhan, or Leicester, d. 1828, and to the Rev. Mr. Hoyland, a former vicar, d. 1712, who built the tower, steeple and porch at the time of the Restoration, and provided the lead for the roof which had been destroyed by the forces of the Commonwealth: there is an octagonal pulpit of polished oak and a massive circular font: the church was restored in 1840, and in 1885 the chancel was restored and fitted with oak and the floor relaid: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Disworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Diseworth (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Online maps of Disworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: