Congerston, a village and a parish in Leicestershire, on the river Sence and the Hinckley and Moira Canal, 3½ miles NW of Market-Bosworth, 8 NNE of Atherstone station, on the L. & N.W.R., and 1½ S from Shackerstone station on the Ashby and Nuneaton Joint railway, with a post office under Atherstone; money order and telegraph office,. Twycross. Acreage, 814; population, 205. The living is a. rectory in the diocese of Peterborough; gross yearly value, £171 with residence. Patron, Earl Howe. The church is. a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English style. There are a Baptist chapel and four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Congerston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Market-Bosworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish reg!ster dates from the year 1793.
Findmypast, in association with the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland, have the following parish records online for Congerstone:
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aiale, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing 5 bells: there are memorial windows to George Augustus, 2nd Earl Howe (d. 4 Feb. 1876), to Richard George, 3rd Earl Howe G.C.V.O., C.B. and a general in the army (d. 1900), erected by the present Earl and his brothers and sisters, and one to Mrs. Didham, formerly of this parish: a Bible, Prayer Book and Communion Service Book were presented to the church in 1906 by the parishioners, in memory of Lady Howe, who died Feb. 9, and was buried in the churchyard Feb. 15, 1906: in 1914 a new organ was provided by Earl Howe, in memory of his sister, Lady Evelyn Alice Eyre, who died in 1913: there is a cup and paten, dated 1718: the communion plate of silver was presented by Queen Adelaide: there are 200 sittings. In 1922 a cross was erected, by public subscription, in memory of those of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918. The church has been rebuilt, and but little of the old work now exists.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Congerstone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Congerston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leicestershire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Leicestershire newspapers online: